Biblical Guard Rails, Safety Rules, and Exit Ramps

this 1-minute devotion begins with a thought-provoking quote and offers wise advice for avoiding spiritual pitfalls. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

“A fence at the top of the precipice is far better than an ambulance at the bottom of it.” J. Sidlow Baxter*

Some Christians overemphasize rules, but not all rules are bad. Some are like fences or guardrails that prevent our car from careening over the edge into a valley of sin.

Sometimes we need guardrails and other times we need safety rules. 

When we come to an intersection we need to look both ways, evaluate the oncoming dangers, and proceed only if the road is clear. 

We’ve all had “spiritual accidents” and ended up on unsafe roads that led to overeating, overspending, anger, immorality, irresponsibility, etc.

If we get ourselves in the middle of a temptation traffic jam, God promises to provide a way out (1 Corinthians 10:13). But He warns us to avoid unsafe roads altogether (2 Timothy 2:22).

We need guardrails and safety rules; and if neither work, we need to hurry off the exit ramp that God provides.

* Awake My Heart (Nov. 9-11) by J. Sidlow Baxter, Zondervan, 1960

Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

this 1-minute devotion begins with a thought-provoking quote and offers wise advice for avoiding spiritual pitfalls. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

10 comments:

  1. Thank you "1-Minute Bible Love Notes." I learnt alot. My best part is "But He warns us to avoid unsafe road altogether." It really struck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this reminder, especially appropriate this time of year. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate ALL your posts! I don’t always reply, but I do read everyone of them. Thank you for your words of wisdom that arrive everyday. When I need inspiration, while waiting or first thing in the morning, I’ll open up your blog and be refreshed.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this "tap on the shoulder" to remind me to get out of my comfort zone and to stay in God's lane of safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God for these "little gems". They offer so much for a searching heart. God bless your mission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this encouraging Word. I read all your posts, but don't often comment. May the LORD bless you as you continue to serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you so much for your truthful posts. They are a valuable part of my day! God bless, guide, strengthen and keep you as you serve in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to your Bible Love Notes every single morning! Thank you for always being there and keeping your readers on track.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoy your Bible love notes. I have been praying for a way to begin a difficult discussion with my teenager and this is it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It blesses me to hear that this is helpful. Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete